Friday, November 10, 2006

Hmm.

My blogging lull can mainly be accredited to our crazy week of trying to get into our new apartment. About 3 weeks ago we signed up for a new place in North Garland. Our move-in date was set for November 5 and we were very excited to find such a nice place for the price. Everything seemed to be working itself out nicely.

We were first told by the apt complex that in order to sign the lease and receive our keys, we needed to have the power turned on in our name. After several phone calls, faxes, and spending what seemed like hours of my day-off on hold with the power company, we were told that we needed to send a copy of the lease in order to set up the power. Hmm.

We then convinced our apt manager to let us sign the lease so we could have the power turned on. (On Saturday we were told our hot-water heater would be installed "Tomorrow") Monday, we finalized everything with the power company and they said "Everything is good to go. You'll have power beginning Tuesday morning." We picked up the keys from the leasing office and were set for our big move on Tuesday evening.

The truck full of all our stuff, the baby furniture delivery, and our new mattress were all set to arrive around 6 pm. I arrived at the apartment shortly before 6 and there was a car parked in front of our garage, we had no hot-water heater, and better yet, no power. Hmm.

After calling a tow truck, and having a heated 30 minute conversation with the power company that got me nowhere, we proceeded to move everything in using the light of one lamp connected to a 75 ft extension cord. (Borrowing power from our new neighbors) Discussions about the hot-water heater led to the leasing manager assuring us it would be installed "Tomorrow". Hmm.

We were able to get everything moved in and delayed our actual move-in date one more day until we had hot-water. Our power was eventually turned on the next day.(After several more calls to the CSR Manager) On Wednesday, all of my calls to ask about our hot-water heater went unanswered. Finally, about 4pm I was told it would be "Tomorrow", with no real explanation of why it hadn't been installed. Hmm.

The same series of events took place on Thursday. Allison was on hold for over 10 minutes and I was told at around 3:45, that the manager would call me back with an explanation when she got off the phone. No call. I headed to the apartment after work to find, shockingly, that we had no hot-water heater. I went to the office to find that the doors were locked, but I saw the woman who had been helping us, through an office window. She saw me, so I went back to the front door where I expected her to greet me. No answer. I then looked around the corner again to find that the blinds had been closed. Hmm.

About 30 mins later I received a call from the apt manager apologizing about the hot-water heater problem. In her rambling, I caught bits and pieces of her blaming it on the property management company. At no time did she tell me when I should expect to have hot water. She talked about how she might lose her job and about how the company was trying to sell the property but at the last minute it didn't go through. She kept saying "what will make you happy". To which I respond "hot water". We eventually hung up and I still had no real explanation of what had happened. "I will make this right" is what I had to go on. Hmm.

Today, Nov 10 (5 days after our 'move-in date') I have read several horror stories about the management company online, and those have me a little worried. After reviewing the lease, it seems like the pain of trying to break the lease and moving everything again are enough to keep us here for now. A few minutes ago I received a call from the Apt Manager saying that they are going to take my suggestion and steal a hot-water heater from a vacant unit. We get a huge credit, so for the time being, it seems to be resolved. We still have several questions about the management company, but for now, we should be okay. "We'll have it in TODAY" she says. Hmm.

Name: Tom

2 comments:

James Y said...

Son of a gun. I hate that stuff. I have a similar story - owing more to my stupidity. I was looking at the wrong valve on our furnace, so while I thought that we had plenty of heating oil (we use oil up here, very environmentally friendly), we didn't and I ran completely out. It was 26 that night. And not fun.

*Courtney* said...

Well, if you decide the apartment isn't working out...there's a house for sale right next door to us.....